Looking for a healthy dessert option this holiday season? HealthyHappyMama shared this delicious recipe for Ginger Cookies that make you feel like Christmas is here without getting you too far off track of your diet. Check it out!
Healthy Ginger Cookies
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 8 minutes
Total time: 38 minutes
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetables shortening
1 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup sugar (for rolling the dough in)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the shortening with a mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup coconut sugar and beat until combined. Beat in the eggs and molasses. Finally, beat in the flour mixture.
4. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the 1/4 cup sugar. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown and the tops are puffed. Do not overbake. Cool on a cookie sheet for one minute, and then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Note: Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies