The holidays are right around the corner, and we couldn’t be more excited! Turkey, stuffing, dessert…what’s not to love? With Thanksgiving just one week away, it’s so easy to forget all weight loss goals and let old favorite recipes float around in our heads, but why not try something a little different this year? We found this incredible recipe from thefitfork.com for an interesting (and healthy!) spin on our traditional mashed potatoes, using sweet potato and cauliflower. Before you cringe, cauliflower has a texture that makes for a perfect rice AND mashed potato substitute. Give it a try, and put something a little heart and health friendly on the table this holiday season!
Sweet Potato & Cauliflower Mash Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (or Instantly Fresh Parsley)
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1 ½ -inch chunks.
- In large pot with steam basked, steam sweet potato and cauliflower with 1 inch of water in bottom of pot. Vegetables will be ready in about 10 – 12 minutes, or when fork tender.
- Place in large bowl and mash the potato and cauliflower with the milk. Stir in the Greek yogurt, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If too thick, add milk 1 tablespoons at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serves 4 – 6